Heiko Hellwig was born in Wuppertal, Germany in 1960. Today he lives and works in Stuttgart as a freelance photographer and artist. He was given his first camera at the age of 8 and has devoted himself to it full time since 1981. For more than thirty years, he worked for large companies such as BMW, Bosch and Lufthansa. , as well as for international magazines. From 1998 to 2001, he also taught photography at the Haller Akademie der Künste in Schwäbisch Hall, Germany. Since then, he has devoted himself to free artistic projects, mostly conceptual series with socio-critical impulses. He is a professional member of the British AOP (Association of Photographers) and its German equivalent, the German BFF.
Heiko Hellwig's work is inspired by daily realities and contemporary social issues. He is interested in how humans react to these issues and how they act in society. He constructs and deconstructs architectures as well as the codes of traditional photography, and focuses mainly on light, which he masters wonderfully. He always keeps in mind the etymology of the word, which comes from the Greek photo: light, and graphein: paint, draw, write.
His works are exhibited nationally and internationally and are represented in various private collections. Several of his photographs have received several awards, including the “Silicon Cities” series with the prestigious PX3 prize in Paris in the fine arts category.
- 2013 - More and Sea Light (Mehr und Meer Licht) , solo exhibition as part of Night of Images, Wagenhallen Stuttgart, ALL
- 2010 - More and More Light (Mehr und Mehr Licht) , solo exhibition, Zukunftslabor gallery, Stuttgart, ALL
- 2017 - From Dusk till Dawn , group exhibition with Polaroid Polyptych, Berlin, ALL
- 2017 - Luck (Glück) , group exhibition as part of the Herbstrundgang 2017 - Baumwollspinnerei Leipzig, ALL
- 2017 - Trigger , group exhibition with Paperballs, Stuttgart, ALL
- 2017 - Point of View (Sichtweise) , group exhibition with CCC, HdW Stuttgart, ALL
- 2017 - Raw , group exhibition with Untouched Earth, Düsseldorfer Fotoweekend, ALL
- 2016 - Paranoia , group exhibition as part of the BFF-Bilderabend, with Paranoia Toys, Stuttgart, ALL
- 2016 - Kois , group exhibition, Photokina Cologne, ALL
- 2015 - Flight , collective exhibition with Flight, Stuttgart, Berlin and Düsseldorf, ALL
- 2015 - Personal Work , group exhibition as part of the BFF-Bilderabend at the Haus der Wirtschaft Stuttgart, ALL
- 2015 - Personal Work , group exhibition with Surfrider, Galerie Kunstbezirk, Stuttgart, ALL
- 2014 - Gegenlicht21 , group exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Theaterhaus Stuttgart, ALL
- 2014 - Changing Realities , collective exhibition with Surfrider, GfHF, Berlin, ALL
- 2012 - Art in the region (Kunst in der Region) , collective exhibition with More and More Light, Kunstverein Kirchheim Teck, ALL
- 2011 - Gegenlicht21 , group exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart, ALL
- 2011 - Gegenlicht21 , group exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Stuttgart, Ludwigsburg, Herrenberg, Tübingen, Konstanz, ALL
- 2011 - Memory of the Future , collective exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Cité des Arts, Paris, FR