Annie Labbé is a Quebec painter. Born in 1979 in a neighborhood of Limoilou in Quebec, she grew up in Charlesbourg and now lives in Lévis.
Initiating photography at the age of 14, she chose to continue her studies in visual arts at the CEGEP of Sainte-Foy. In 2003, she obtained a bachelor's degree in visual arts, new media option, from Laval University. From drawing to installation, including sculpture and photography, it is to painting that the artist definitively devotes himself. After traveling around the world, it was finally the river, near her home, that fascinated Annie Labbé at a crucial moment in her career. The first works of his “Landscapes” series were then born, thus revealing his favorite subject.
When the South Shore became her new living environment and she settled there in 2002, the artist saw her hometown from a completely different point of view aboard the ferry which moved away and approached the shores and towns, revealing the island of Orléans. These vast expanses permeate his imagination. Occasionally, she indulges in photography while walking on the banks or while traveling on the ferry. She transposes these photos of the places that she loves and that she tames on a daily basis into painting by simplifying them, retaining a few landmarks such as the horizon line.
Integrating into an approach that revolves around the theme of territory, the landscape for Annie Labbé serves as both an anchor and a common thread throughout her work. The refined composition, resulting from the artist's numerous observations and photographs, reveals the immensity of the places and introduces the notions of space, borders and limits, which the artist also explores, more recently, in his series “Square” and “Architecture”. She therefore offers us, in her works, her reflections on the territory and on the links we have with it.
- Course, March 2011 edition, p.76-77
- Magazin'Art, summer 2008 edition, article p. 71-73
- Laval University Journal , May 8, 2003 edition, p. 5
- 2007 - at the Restaurant du Clocher Penché
- 2016 - “Parcours” exhibition at the Galerie d’art des Deux-Ponts in Saint-Nicolas (Lévis)
- Beauchamp art galleries in Quebec, Montreal, Baie-Saint-Paul and Toronto, since 2007
- Whistler Contemporary Gallery in Whistler, British Columbia since 2016
- 2011 - today - La Nuit des galleries, in Quebec
- 2014 - today - Autumn Dreams, in Baie-Saint-Paul
- 2015 - Benefit evening for the Lévis Social Pediatrics Center
- 2013 - Art auction for the benefit of the Red Cross, 2013
- 2008-2013 - Creation workshops for children in the preschool environment
- 2010 - Women 2010, event for the Foundation of the Ubald-Villeneuve Rehabilitation Center, Parliament of Quebec
Public and private collections
- Desjardins Cooperative Institute
- Intact Insurance
- Norton Rose
- Orlando Corporation
- Hotel Le Priori
- Metro Toronto Convention Center (MTCC)
- Campion Design
- Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton
- and even more.